Wednesday 15 January 2014

Road Rash - Bonnie Benard

Wayne Wright is dead, head removed from his shoulders, what a way to go. We meet Wayne as he travels through the light to the next plain, which of course will not run smooth.



As a short story I really didn’t know what to expect from this book. It questions different belief’s, incorporates some and laughs at others, all in a very easy going manner. We see everything fresh from his eyes, everything confusing, unanswered.

I like the concept of this story, how the transition to the hereafter is strange and complicated. I have to say that I found it hard to read. After the characters favourite line of ‘are you s**ting me’ was mentioned for the tenth time in as many lines, I wanted to put it away. It’s purely a personal gripe for me, I don’t mind swearing, but if it doesn’t feel natural I find it hard to get into the story.

The idea of separating mind, body and soul was an interesting one and the tests they had to complete. All I can say is I hope they don’t test me like that; I can see the lightning bolt already. When you read short stories you only get a snap shot of the characters, so it is hard to develop them. There is a good effort made here to change Wayne as he goes through his trial. The pace is good, moving us along nicely. The writing didn’t quite flow but again that may have something to do with trying to complete the story in so few words.




It’s always interesting to read a new take on the afterlife and this is new and usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment